Nigerian troops say 2 gunmen killed in northern state

2013-02-07 10:38:46 GMT2013-02-07 18:38:46(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria, Feb. 7 (Xinhua) -- Nigeria's military Joint Task Force (JTF) operating in Maiduguri, capital of the northwestern state of Borno, on Thursday said two gunmen were shot dead in a raid on Wednesday night.

Spokesperson of the JTF in Borno State Lt.-Col. Sagir Musa said the gunmen were shot dead after they attacked a market at the Hausari ward in the metropolis, noting the bandits also looted some wares of the traders at the market.

"The gunmen, who had been terrorizing the traders for sometime now, were intercepted by the troops after they had attacked and stolen goods at the market," he said, declining further comments on the killing.

A kolanut trader at the market, Usman Hussain, said some traders at the market summoned courage and alerted the troops about the gunmen attack. According to him, the two gunmen were shot dead as they tried to flee the market because of the swift response of the troops.

He said the corpses of the gunmen were left on the street for a while as people gathered to catch a glimpse of them in jubilation.

Last Thursday, a total of 17 gunmen were killed in a fierce gun battle with the military troops in Maiduguri, flashpoint and the identified base of the Boko Haram sect which began to launch its uprising in northern and central parts of Nigeria in 2009. More than 1,500 people, including women and children, had been killed in various attacks by the Islamic sect.

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment
Name
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.