Huawei ‘does not expect US sanctions’

2018-07-10 03:21:46 GMT2018-07-10 11:21:46(Beijing Time) Sina English

HUAWEI, the world’s largest maker of telecom network equipment, does not see itself becoming the target of U.S. sanctions and will keep buying U.S. chips this year, one of its three rotating chairmen told a French newspaper.

Huawei, also the world’s third-largest smartphone maker, is a private company but has found itself battling perceptions of ties to the government, which it has repeatedly denied.

Asked if he feared his company could also be hit by sanctions, Ken Hu, one of Huawei’s rotating chairmen, told Le Journal du Dimanche: “It would be hard to imagine. Ten years ago we put in place a system to control our exports, which has become very efficient. Our policy is to closely implement all laws and regulations introduced by Europe, the United Nations and the United States.”

Asked if Huawei could do without U.S. components, Hu said the company’s logistical chain was international. “We must be open and choose the best technologies, the best products. We will therefore keep buying American chips this year,” Hu said.

Earlier this year, U.S. lawmakers asked Alphabet Inc.’s Google to reconsider working with Huawei, which they described as a security threat. And a deal with U.S. telecom firm AT&T Inc. to sell its smartphones in the United States collapsed at the 11th hour due to security concerns.

Meanwhile, a lucrative contract to deliver and maintain digital radio systems for western Australia’s rail network has been awarded to Huawei after a lengthy consultation period.

Announced Sunday, the US$101 million contract will operate as a joint venture with engineering construction company UGL and involve the development of 4G communications systems for voice and data services on Perth City trains.

(SD-Agencies)

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment