BEIJING, March 1(Xinhuanet)-- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesmanLiu Jianchao Tuesday urged all parties concerned to show their sincerity and flexibility to the resumption of the six-party talks on the Korean Peninsular nuclear issue.
At a regular press conference here, Liu said to continue the talks is a common aspiration of the participants and the international community as well.
The talks, involving China, the Democratic People's Republic ofKorea, the United States, the Republic of Korea, Russia and Japan,started in August 2003 with the aim of the settlement of the nuclear issue through dialogue. The second and third rounds of talks were held in the Chinese capital of Beijing respectively in February and June last year.
Liu noted that consensus had been reached and substantial results made in the previous talks. But the talks are now confronted with some difficulties caused by many factors.
He urged all parties concerned to continue their efforts to promote the talks.
A DPRK statement said in early February it wanted the six-partytalks but it was compelled to suspend its participation in the talks for an indefinite period, which aroused deep concern from all parties concerned.
A DPRK leader told senior Chinese official Wang Jiarui during his visit to the DPRK in February that it would return to the negotiating table if the conditions were met for the next round oftalks.