BEIJING, Nov. 28(Xinhuanet)-- The overall quality of China's oceanic environment is unsatisfactory, with half of its offshore water polluted, the State Environmental Protection Administration(SEPA) reported here Monday.
Statistics from SEPA show that 49.6 percent of China's offshore sea water is in good quality, and the remaining 50.4 percent has been polluted at various levels.
Serious pollution blights the ecosystem of large parts of China's estuaries, including Bohai bay, the coast of Jianagsu Province, the Yangtze River estuary, Hangzhou bay and part of the Pearl River estuary.
"High pollution rate industries line along the coastal areas, such as galvanization, pharmaceutical, chemical, printing and dying, which have drained a high amount of pollutants to sea," said a report made after a sea water protection inspection tour launched by SEPA in June.
"The insufficiency of regional cooperation mechanisms and comprehensive river-ocean pollution treatment measures are major problems causing the low efficiency of the offshore sea water recycling," said the report. Enditem