BEIJING, March 2, 2009 - A Chinese antique collector said Monday he was the mystery person who placed the winning bid for two bronze relics at a Paris auction last week, but that he did not have the money to pay for them.
"I believe that any Chinese person would stand up at this time... I am making an effort to fulfil my own responsibilities," Cai Mingchao said in a statement in which he identified himself as the winning bidder for the relics.
"But I must stress that I do not have the money to pay for this."
The statement was released by the National Treasures Fund, which is dedicated to retrieving Chinese relics from abroad.
Cai is an advisor to the fund, the statement said.