Fri, June 11, 2010
China > Mainland > 7.1-magnitude quake hits Qinghai

Chinese gov't allocates special fund for post-quake reconstruction in Yushu

2010-06-11 14:34:08 GMT2010-06-11 22:34:08 (Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

The first batch of central-budget special funds has been allocated for post-quake reconstruction in Yushu Prefecture in northwest China's Qinghai Province, the Ministry of Finance said.

The ministry said in a statement that the 3 billion yuan (439 million U.S. dollars) will be used to rebuilding public infrastructure in the quake-hit area, including residential houses, schools and hospitals.

The central government said earlier it will allocate 9 billion yuan for reconstruction from the central budget in the first year after the quake.

According to the ministry, the rebuilding and repairing of residential homes is the top priority of all reconstruction projects, with 2.5 billion yuan to be spent on the rebuilding of houses.

The 7.1-magnitude earthquake that hit Yushu on April 14 left 2,698 dead and 270 still missing.

The State Council approved a plan for post-quake reconstruction in Yushu at the end of last month.

According to the plan, China will finish most reconstruction projects within the next three years to ensure that living conditions and economic development are fully restored.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY