A total of 27 primary school students fell ill Sunday morning after inhaling toxic gas in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, said local authorities.
The pupils began vomiting and feeling dizzy after they smelled a stinky odor in a classroom of Fulin Primary School in Wuming County, said a spokesman with the regional public security department.
Twenty pupils with serious symptoms were receiving medical treatment in Wuming County People's Hospital. They were now all in stable condition, said the spokesman.
An initial police investigation showed the pupils were poisoned by toxic gas, he said.
Police are continuing to investigate the case.