BEIJING, Feb. 22 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao have ordered all-out efforts to ensure life and property safety of Chinese nationals in Libya in light of recent major changes of security situation in the country.
Hu and Wen asked relevant authorities to take timely and effective measures to achieve the aim.
The State Council, or Cabinet, has decided to set up an emergency headquarter, headed by Vice Premier Zhang Dejiang, to organize the evacuation of Chinese including people from the mainland, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan in Libya and ensure their safety.
The emergency headquarter decided at a meeting on Tuesday to immediately send chartered aircraft from Chinese airlines, ships of China Ocean Shipping (Group) Company (COSCO) and Chinese fishing boats which are working in the adjacent waters to carry living necessities and medical treatment materials to rush to the surrounding areas of Libya and be prepared to enter the country at any moment to evacuate Chinese nationals.
Zhang said at the meeting that relevant authorities should initiate emergency response plans instantly and "do their best" to ensure safety of Chinese nationals and property as well as China's national interests.
At a regular news briefing Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said China was very concerned about the current situation in Libya, and said "China hopes the country can restore social stability and political order as soon as possible."
Since the unrest erupted in Libya on Feb. 16, people have been attacked and there has been vandalism, looting and arson, said Ma, adding that Chinese firms had been attacked and Chinese nationals injured.
Latest reports said a construction site run by Huafeng Construction Co., Ltd. from China's Zhejiang Province was looted by a group of armed gangsters Sunday afternoon in the eastern city of Agedabia, and nearly 1,000 Chinese workers there were forced to leave their on-site living quarters and became homeless.