Fri, August 24, 2012
China > China & World

S.Korea seeks death penalty for fisherman

2012-08-24 00:15:45 GMT2012-08-24 08:15:45(Beijing Time)  Global Times

The Seoul High Court Thursday held the final round of hearings for the second trial of a Chinese fisherman who allegedly stabbed a South Korean law enforcement officer to death during a crackdown on "illegal fishing" last year, with prosecutors still seeking the death penalty or life imprisonment.

Cheng Dawei, 43, the skipper of a Chinese fishing boat, was sentenced to 30 years in jail by  a court for killing a South Korean coast guard and injuring another during a raid on December 12.

After the sentence was delivered, both the prosecutor and the defense decided to appeal to a higher court.

Chinese foreign ministry has said China and South Korea have not yet demarcated a boundary for exclusive economic zones in the Yellow Sea, therefore the rulings based on the exclusive economic zone law were unacceptable.

Cheng's demand to let Chinese attorney, Hu Xianpang, defend Cheng was rejected by the court on Thursday. The South Korean defense lawyer for Cheng has asserted that the killing was a negligent homicide, the sentencing range of which is nine to 20 years.

The Seoul High Court is expected to issue the verdict for the second trial on September 13 and Hu said he is ready to ask for a third trial.

Related news:

Seoul court mulls fisherman’s appeal

| PRINT | RSS

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY