A total of 18 people have been rescued, with 5 killed, as two Chinese fishing boats sank off South Korea's southern island of Jeju due to a raging typhoon Tuesday.
Chinese consulate in Jeju island confirmed the report. A total of 33 crew members were aboard the two vessels, when they capsized in waters about 1.8 kilometers from the port of Hwasun in Jeju's Seogwipo around 2:40 a.m. amid gale-force winds and high waves caused by Typhoon Bolaven, officials said.
The accidents became known to authorities as two crew members reported them after coming ashore.
They were taken to a hospital as one of them sustained serious injuries and the other complained of difficulty breathing.
The vessels, "Yuejiangchengyu" No. 91104 and No. 91105, are both from Weihai city of East China's Shandong province.
The Jeju-based Chinese Consulate is maintaining close contact with local police in search and rescue efforts.
A typhoon alert was issued in waters off the southern resort island early Monday morning. Schools there were closed and flight services canceled.
Two Chinese fishing boats with 34 crew members aboard capsized Tuesday in waters about 1.8 kilometers from South Korea's port of Hwasun in Jeju's Seogwipo, an official from the Chinese Consulate stationed on Jeju has confirmed. Full story
Mokpo's maritime police department of South Korea said on Wednesday afternoon that it has detained 2 Chinese fishing ships for illegal fishing activities in its exclusive economic zone (EEZ), Yonhap news agency reported. Full story
The Seoul High Court Thursday held the final round of hearings for the second trial of a Chinese fisherman who allegedly stabbed a South Korean law enforcement officer to death during a crackdown on "illegal fishing" last year, with prosecutors still seeking the death penalty or life imprisonment. Full story