WUHAN, Sept. 2 (Xinhua) -- A Chinese man whose hoax bomb warning caused the diversion of a domestic flight on Thursday was escorted by police to a detention center in central China on Sunday morning.
Xiong Yi, a 29-year-old male resident of Shiyan City in Hubei Province, was taken by plane to provincial capital Wuhan, according to Hubei police.
"I was wrong, and I feel regret," he said after arriving at Tianhe Airport in Wuhan.
Xiong was caught on Saturday afternoon in a hotel in Dongguan City in the southern province of Guangdong.
He confessed that he fabricated the information and threatened to bomb the plane, according to police.
He said that he made an anonymous phone call to an airport in Shenzhen, Guangdong, at 10:43 p.m. on Thursday, claiming that explosives had been planted on Shenzhen Airlines Flight ZH9706, which was in mid-air, bound for Shenzhen from Xiangyang in Hubei.
Xiong said over the phone that the explosives would be detonated 45 minutes after the flight's take-off.
The plane made an emergency landing at an airport in Wuhan at 11:24 p.m. out of concerns for passenger safety.
Police conducted a thorough inspection but found no dangerous items on the aircraft or in passengers' belongings.
Xiong has now been placed under further investigation.