BEIJING, May 24 -- After emergency repairs, the Yingtan section of the Shanghai-to-Kunming railway line reopened, after Sunday morning's deadly derailment in east China's Jiangxi Province. The death toll from the accident has risen to 19. Another 71 injured are receiving treatment in local hospitals.
Trains running in both directions of the line resumed at around 10 p.m. Sunday.
After more than 20 hours of repair efforts, 2,000 rescuers using heavy machinery completed the operation.
The derailed train and 8,000 cubic meters of mud and rocks from the landslide were removed from the tracks.
And rescue work for the victims also began right after the accident happened.
Chen Rongjian, chief of Dongxiang PLA No.184 Hospital, said, "We received the distress call at about 3 a.m. Two rescue teams were immediately dispatched to the site and Yingtan railway station. Another 30 medical staff were on call."
The hospital is treating 30 of the injured people. One of them is in serious condition.
Victims are still in shock while recalling the nightmare.
A train accident victim said, "I was sleeping when the accident happened. Then I felt the train jolt seriously. I don't know what happened after that, even how I escaped."
A train accident victim said, "It was very dark then. I heard people screaming and calling for help. I climbed out of the window. Luckily I just have some bruises."
The train was en route from Shanghai to the scenic city of Guilin in south China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region when it came off the tracks at around 2 a.m. in Dongxiang county, Jiangxi Province.
It derailed after hitting a section of track that had been damaged by a landslide.