BISHKEK, June 14 (Xinhua) -- There have been no reports of Chinese nationals being injured or killed in recent ethnic violence in southern Kyrgyzstan, an official at the Chinese embassy in Bishkek told Xinhua Monday.
The official, Wang Kaiwen, said the Chinese embassy would send a working group to the southern Kyrgyz city of Osh to ensure the safety of Chinese citizens there.
Osh has been hit by a wave of ethnic violence in recent days, which has left more than 100 people dead and some 1,400 others injured. Tens of thousands more have been forced to flee the region.
Wang said that as a friendly neighbor of Kyrgyzstan, China was very concerned over the riots and sincerely hoped that the situation in the country would soon return to stability.
Some business establishments owned by Chinese nationals in Osh may have been looted, he said, adding that the Chinese embassy had urged Chinese citizens in the city to stay home.
A Chinese businessman in Osh, Wang Xiuyin, told Xinhua by telephone that all main streets in the city had been guarded by police and soldiers equipped with machine guns.
Tension remained high in the city where crowds of ethnic Kyrgyz youth were still milling on the streets, he said, adding that many Chinese nationals living in Osh intended to return home and at least five planes may be needed for their repatriation.