Thu, February 24, 2011
China > China & World

43 Chinese workers evacuated from Libya back home

2011-02-24 08:25:35 GMT2011-02-24 16:25:35(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

Chinese workers arrive at the Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing, capital of China, Feb. 24, 2011. The first group of 43 Chinese evacuated from riot-torn Libya arrived in Beijing Thursday morning on a flight from Egypt's northern city of Alexandria. (Xinhua/Jing Lei)

Chinese workers arrive at the Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing, capital of China, Feb. 24, 2011. The first group of 43 Chinese evacuated from riot-torn Libya arrived in Beijing Thursday morning on a flight from Egypt's northern city of Alexandria. (Xinhua/Jing Lei)

Chinese worker Dai Huidong weeps as he reminds of the experience in Libya at the Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing, capital of China, Feb. 24, 2011. The first group of 43 Chinese evacuated from riot-torn Libya arrived in Beijing Thursday morning on a flight from Egypt's northern city of Alexandria. (Xinhua/Jin Liangkuai)

Chinese staff members pose for a group photo after arrive at the Beijing Capital International Airport in Beijing, capital of China, Feb. 24, 2011. The first group of 43 Chinese evacuated from riot-torn Libya arrived in Beijing Thursday morning on a flight from Egypt's northern city of Alexandria. (Xinhua/Jin Liangkuai)

BEIJING, Feb. 24 (Xinhua) -- The first group of 43 Chinese evacuated from riot-torn Libya arrived in Beijing Thursday morning on a flight from Egypt's northern city of Alexandria.

The 43 Chinese workers arrived in Beijing Capital Airport at 10:23 a.m. local time. They took flight EY888 of Etihad Airways, national airline of the United Arab Emirates, which departed from Alexandria on Wednesday.

Another group of 40 took another commercial flight at around 5:30 p.m. (1530 GMT) Wednesday and are due to arrive in Shanghai at around 2 p.m. local time Thursday.

All of the evacuated are workers with China Building Technique Group Co. Ltd.(CBTGC). They had been working in a university construction site in Tobruk, 500 km away from Libya's second largest city of Benghazi, the Chinese embassy in Egypt said.

CBTGC Vice President Wang Jingfeng told Xinhua that currently the company has around 100 Chinese employees in Libya. Besides the 83 workers flown out of the region, nine workers evacuated from Libya remain in Egypt.

The riots in Libya have caused great property loss to CBTGC, with equipment, houses and cars damaged or wrecked at the company's site in Libya.

The 43 workers belong to China Changshu Construction Group co., LTD. On Thursday afternoon they will fly to Shanghai, two hours' drive from Changshu, a city in east China's Jiangsu Province, Wang said.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY