Tue, July 26, 2011
China > Mainland > Bullet train collision in Zhejiang

Anger mounts at lack of answers on train crash

2011-07-26 01:46:45 GMT2011-07-26 09:46:45(Beijing Time)  Global Times

A bullet train runs past the crash site in Wenzhou, Zhejiang Province, on Monday after services resumed. (Photo/Cai Xianmin)

As the nation still reels from Saturday's bullet train crash, more questions and doubts are being raised of the authorities concerning the handling of the tragedy and China's fast-expanding railway system.

The official death toll for the crash near Wenzhou, Zhejiang Province, rose by five to 40 on Monday, with nearly 200 hospitalized, including 12 still in serious condition.

Yang Feng, a 31-year-old man who lost his pregnant wife and three other relatives in the accident, questioned the official tally.

"They recovered the bodies of my family members Sunday afternoon, and 10 other bodies were found around the same time," Yang told the Global Times. "I think the official toll is not accurate."

Wang Lihua, working at a funeral parlor in Wenzhou, told the Global Times on Monday that 40 bodies had been received, and that DNA tests were being carried out for identification purposes.

"A DNA test usually takes seven to eight hours. We will not cremate any corpses until the test results come out," Wang said.

About 30 relatives of victims gathered outside the Wenzhou government building on Monday night to demand direct talks with officials from the Shanghai Railway Bureau. These were granted and soon got underway at a local petition office.

The talks settled their demands to embalm the bodies of the deceased.

One person who attended the talks told the Global Times on condition of anonymity that officials from the Ministry of Railways (MOR) and the Shanghai Railway Bureau will hold talks today with each family about compensation, which may be between 400,000 and 500,000 yuan ($77,584.50) for each victim.

The US embassy in Beijing told the Global Times that two US citizens were among the deceased and that consular staff had contacted the families.

Yang Xiajie, a press officer with the Shanghai frontier inspection bureau, told the Global Times that six relatives of an Italian victim arrived at about 10 am on Monday.

The Italian embassy in Beijing did not comment.

Meanwhile, survivors began to remember the last moments before the collision.

"When the trains hit each other, I felt like I was in a time machine and suddenly traveling into another era," Jiang Leilei, a 28-year-old survivor on the D301 train from Beijing to Fuzhou, told the Global Times.

According to the MOR, the D301 ran into the back of the D3115 train, after the latter was forced to stop on a 15-meter high bridge due to lightning near Wenzhou South Station.

After regaining consciousness, Jiang crawled out of the first carriage that had fallen off the bridge and pulled her husband, Yang Jingjing, out of the wreckage.

"People were crying around me. I still felt like I was dreaming until I touched my husband, who had lots of blood on his face and was groaning," Jiang said, adding that local villagers got her to a hospital before the ambulances arrived.

"I was touched by (the actions of the) local people, although we didn't know each other. They kept on asking me to stay awake," she added.

The fate of Xiang Weiyi, a 2-year-old girl who was pulled from the wreckage 21 hours after the collision but who lost both her parents, drew attention nationwide.

Citing local doctors, the Xinhua News Agency reported that Xiang suffered bruises to her lungs and liver, and that blood flow was severed to two toes on her left foot.

She is still in intensive care but is showing good vital signs, doctors said.

After the accident, the authorities sacked three senior railway officials from the Shanghai Railway Bureau, including Long Jing, the head of the bureau.

The MOR then named An Lusheng, the ministry's general chief of command and control, to replace Long.

However, the new appointment quickly drew fire from the public as An was previously demoted in April 2008 after two trains collided in Shandong Province, killing 71 people.

An became the chief of the Chengdu Railway Bureau after the 2008 accident. In 2009, he was named as the head of the Shanghai bureau. One year later, he resumed his previous role at the MOR.

Questions also arose over how lightning could cause a crash between such advanced trains.

Citing unnamed railway experts, the Economic Observer newspaper reported that all bullet trains are equipped with protectors that will force trains to stop after being hit by lightning.

"After the train stops, manual control will take over to either restart the train or raise the alarm. Apparently, in Saturday's accident, human error was to blame," the report said.

| PRINT | RSS

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY