By Zhao Wei, Sina English
The Hangu Civil Affairs Bureau in Tianjin on Thursday dismissed the claim made by a female migrant worker on an online video of “news briefing”, asserting that all the salaries of her and other migrant workers had been full paid by the local funeral management center three years ago.
Moreover, the migrant worker acting as the “reporter” on the video is one of the representatives who received the salaries in 2009, according to the civil affairs bureau.
“We do not know about the women on the video, but we can recognize the “reporter” is Fan Yunzhong, one of the three representatives who were paid in July, 2009,” said the deputy director of Hangu Civil Affairs Bureau.
In the video, which went viral on Weibo, the woman mimicked a Foreign Ministry spokesperson and requested that the funeral management center in Hangu District immediately pay back salaries of the migrant workers for a cemetery built three years ago.
The woman acting in the role of spokeswoman in the video claimed that the center owes construction workers 14 million yuan (US$2.2 million), of which 3.5 million yuan (US$560,000) should be paid to migrant workers.
But the funeral management center in Hangu said that the video totally distorted the truth, adding that the funeral management center had collected over 2.7 million yuan and paid off their salaries.
Recently, a video of “news briefing” to claim back salaries of 14 million Yuan for migrant workers has been widely viewed on the internet. A woman, named as “Miao Cuihua”, is said to be one of the migrant workers who are unpaid after completing the construction work for the Han’gu Funeral and Interment Administration in north China's Tianjin municipality.
She mimicked the tone of foreign ministry spokesperson in the video expressing strong dissatisfaction to the “status quo”, and she claimed in the video that the department in question owes them money as well as a sincere apology. Full story