Harvey Weinstein gets one sexual assault charge dismissed

2018-10-12 02:49:16 GMT2018-10-12 10:49:16(Beijing Time) Sina English

A New York judge Thursday dismissed one of the six criminal charges against movie producer Harvey Weinstein after prosecutors said they could not oppose the dismissal in light of information they had learned while investigating the case.

The dismissed charge concerns an alleged sexual assault of an aspiring actress by Weinstein in 2004.

Five other charges, involving alleged assaults of two other women, remain in the case in Manhattan criminal court.

Weinstein has pleaded not guilty to all the charges.

Weinstein’s lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said he would seek dismissal of the remaining charges as well. He also said that he would investigate what he described as “perjury” before the grand jury that indicted Weinstein, and the conduct of a New York City police detective involved in the case.

The woman who accused Weinstein of assaulting her in 2004, Lucia Evans, told the New Yorker in October 2017 that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him when she was a 21-year-old college student.

The office of Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance made public a letter it had sent to Brafman last month disclosing that an unnamed witness had told them that she had heard an account of the alleged assault from Evans that was different from the one Evans originally gave to Vance’s office.

Vance’s office also learned that the witness had given the account to a New York City police detective, who failed to inform the prosecutors.

Source: Reuters

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment