Italy's ambassador back in Egypt after year-and-half absence

2017-09-13 16:05:52 GMT2017-09-14 00:05:52(Beijing Time) Xinhua English

CAIRO, Sept. 13 (Xinhua) -- Italy's ambassador to Cairo returned here on Wednesday more than a year after he was recalled following the killing of Italian Ph.D. student Giulio Regeni, state-run MENA news agency reported.

According to MENA, Ambassador Giampaolo Cantini arrived at Cairo International Airport Wednesday in order to resume his work.

In August, Italian foreign minister Angelino Alfano told his Egyptian counterpart Sameh Shoukry that his country was willing to send Ambassador Cantini who was recalled in April last year after the death of Regeni in Cairo.

The 28-year-old Italian doctoral student Regeni disappeared on Jan. 25, 2016. Nine days later, his tortured, half-naked body was found on a roadside in Cairo, casting a shadow on the diplomatic relations between the two countries.

A few weeks later, the Egyptian police said they busted a five-member gang in Cairo and found Regeni's handbag with his passport and student ID card at the residence of a gang member's relative.

Regeni's death came amid intensive security in Cairo and other major cities in Egypt ahead of the anniversary of the Jan. 25 uprising that toppled long-time ruler Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

China, Brunei to boost ties

China-ASEAN Expo joined by exhibitors from countries along Belt and Road

Fire drill held in S China's Guangxi

Aerial view of villages in N China's Shanxi

China, Pakistan air forces hold joint training exercises

Pic story: Chinese grape and wine expert

Farmers busy with farm work around Bailu across China

Rural children take free lunch in SW China's Guizhou

| PRINT | RSS