JERUSALEM, Nov. 30 (Xinhua) -- Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Sunday harshly condemned the terrorist attacks in India's Mumbai, saying that it was a "terrible act" that takes Jews back to the worst moments in their history.
At least six Israelis were among the 195 killed, with 295 others injured during the shocking incident after 10 gunmen stormed luxury hotels, hospitals, train stations and the Chabad House, a Jewish prayer and study center in the Indian economical capital for the past three days.
The images from the Chabad House, including pictures of the murdered victims wrapped in prayer shawls, "are shocking and take us back to events that we pray never recur," local daily Ha'aretz quoted Olmert as saying at a cabinet meeting.
"The hatred of Jews, the State of Israel and Jewish symbols are still a factor that spurs and encourages such murderous acts," Olmert said.
Olmert, meanwhile, toned down criticism voiced by some Israeli security experts who blamed some of the casualties on Indian military's mishandling of the standoff.
Olmert said that he was pleased with India's cooperation throughout the deadly attacks and Israel "would be happy to provide any and all information or specific assistance that we might be asked to give."
According to media reports reaching here from India, the sole attacker captured alive told Indian police that they carried out the attacks with a specific mission of targeting Israelis at the Chabad House in order to avenge atrocities committed against the Palestinians.
Earlier this week, Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Defense Minister Ehud Barak decided to dispatch an Israel Air Force plane with teams of medical and forensic experts to Mumbai to help identify the victims and bring back the bodies.