Thu, June 03, 2010
World > Americas > Gaza flotilla clash

Fidel Castro condemns Israeli attack on Gaza-bound flotilla

2010-06-03 05:51:25 GMT2010-06-03 13:51:25 (Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

HAVANA, June 2 (Xinhua) -- Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro on Wednesday condemned the Israeli attack on a Gaza-bound international aid flotilla.

In the article "The empire and war" published Wednesday on major Cuban media, Castro said the international community was "shocked" by the assault in international waters.

At least nine people of various nationalities aboard the ships were killed and many others injured on Monday, when Israeli naval commandoes tried to stop the flotilla from reaching besieged Gaza.

Castro meanwhile accused the Israeli government of acting furiously like "true Nazis" toward the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

"Today we know the population of Gaza often suffers the rain of white phosphorus, besides other cruel inhuman treatment, launched against them with truly fascist Nazi fury," said the former Cuban leader.

In the article, Castro also warned that Iran could be the target of an eventual nuclear attack by the United States or Israel during the tenure of U.S. President Barack Obama.

Fidel Castro, 83, handed over power to his brother Raul in 2006 due to illness. Since then, he has devoted himself to writing editorials on major global topics.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY