Tue, October 26, 2010
World > Americas > Cholera outbreak in Haiti, Nigeria

Haiti's cholera death toll increases to 369

2010-10-26 02:51:03 GMT2010-10-26 10:51:03 (Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

SANTO DOMINGO, Oct. 25 (Xinhua) -- The number of fatal victims in Haiti due to the cholera outbreak has increased to 369 and more than 3,000 people are infected, Haitian authorities said on Monday.

According to information reaching here from Port-au-Prince, Haiti's capital, the Haitian authorities said that the total number of infected people is 3,015.

The authorities said that 46 percent of the deaths were hospitalized patients, while the other 54 percent was the people without access to health services.

Spain's Secretary of Development Cooperation Soraya Rodriguez said in Madrid, Spain's capital, that it is urgent to set sanitary cordons in Haiti in order to stop the epidemic, which has been worsened by the effects of the earthquake occurred in February this year.

Cholera, a waterborne bacterial infection, is transmitted mainly through drinking contaminated water and unsanitary conditions. The Artibonite River, which irrigates Haiti's rural center and provides water for thousands of people, is believed to be the source of the outbreak.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY