Mon, April 18, 2011
World > Africa

Fresh riot breaks out in Nigeria's Kaduna State

2011-04-18 13:02:31 GMT2011-04-18 21:02:31(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

KADUNA, Nigeria, April 18 (Xinhua) -- A fresh riot broke out on Monday in northern Nigeria's Kaduna State with casualties feared and properties being destroyed after the presidential election.

A Xinhua reporter in the state said some angry youths believed to be supporters of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) went on rampage following the report that incumbent Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, a southerner was leading the presidential poll conducted on Saturday.

The reporter said the situation is tensed as shops, banks, markets and other normal activities has been closed following the riot that is believed to be spreading to other parts of the state.

Security sources told Xinhua that at least two churches have been burnt by the angry youths. The source said a church, a fast food joint and several other properties are on fire.

The source added that several people have been killed in Zaria part of the state. A competent source told Xinhua that hundreds of youths in Kaduna are protesting against the result of the presidential poll released by INEC on Sunday. The result showed that CPC scored more than 1.334 million votes while the PDP got about 1.2 million votes.

The protest, which started around Sunday midnight, spread to other parts of the state, including Zaria and Giwa, the source said.

According to him, the youth claimed that although the opposition CPC had won the election, the votes said to have been scored by the PDP were faked.

The youth blocked some major roads and streets in parts of Tudun Wada, Rigasa, Badiko, Unguwar Dosa and few other areas. They also barricaded some streets and set bonfires by using tires.

The timely intervention of security agencies, including officers and men police quick intervention unit, had saved the situation and brought it under control.

Army and police personnel were seen mounting check points along major roads and streets within the metropolis as well as those linking the state capital with neighboring states to control the situation.

Meanwhile, most of the high ways and streets were scanty as people stayed indoors following the protest.

Effort to get the state police spokesperson Aminu Lawan was not successful as his mobile phone could not be reached.

But the state deputy police commissioner Ekeh Nwadibo confirmed that the situation was under control.

He told reporters that although the police had made some arrests, he could not give figures, adding that people were going on with their normal businesses.

He also confirmed that the protest took place at Tudun Wada, Rigasa, Unguwar Dosa and parts of Zaria.

He warn miscreant from taking advantage of the situation and stressed that the police is addressing the issue and are directed to seriously deal with the situation.

Meanwhile, the deputy national police spokesperson Yemi Ajayi confirmed the riot to Xinhua on phone, adding that the Inspector General Hafiz Ringim has order troops to the state.

He told Xinhua that the police are investigating the riot as no casualties have been confirmed yet.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
(English Only)
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.