UNITED NATIONS, April 13 (Xinhua) -- The UN Security Council on Friday deplored the satellite launch by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which violates Security Council resolutions banning the country to use ballistic technology in the launch, the U.S. UN ambassador who holds the rotating council presidency for April told reporters.
Susan Rice made the statement after the 15-nation council met on Pyongyang's satellite launch.
"Members of the Security Council deplored this launch, which is in violation of Security Council resolutions 1718 and 1874," she said.
The Security Council met behind closed doors to be briefed by the UN assistant secretary-general for political affairs, Oscar Fernandez Taranco, on the satellite launch, Rice said.
The DPRK confirmed that the earth observation satellite launched earlier on Friday morning failed to enter orbit.
Pyongyang announced last month its decision to launch the satellite between April 12 and 16 to mark the 100th birthday of late DPRK founder Kim Il Sung.
"Members of the Security Council agreed to continue consultations on an appropriate response in accordance with its responsibilities, given the urgency of the matter, " Rice said.
Earlier on Friday, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged the DPRK not to undertake any further provocative actions that will heighten tension in the region, according to a statement issued in Geneva by his spokesman.
"Despite its failure, the launch of a so-called 'application satellite' by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on April 13 is deplorable as it defies the firm and unanimous stance of the international community," said the statement.
Under relevant Security Council resolutions, the DPRK is prohibited from conducting launches that use ballistic missile technology.