THE HAGUE, May 4 (Xinhua) -- The trial chamber of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia on Friday denied a request for Ratko Mladic's trail to postponed. The trial will go ahead as scheduled on May 16.
During a pre-trial conference on Thursday, the defence team of the former Bosnian-Serb army commander repeated its motion for a 90-day adjournment of the start of the trial.
The lawyers said they needed additional time to study the material regarding evidence and witnesses. Judge Alphons Orie said he would consider the problem, but rejected the requested the following day.
Mladic's lawyer Branko Lukic said delays in disclosure of material by the prosecution do not allow the defence team enough time to prepare. Lukic said he received some important documents only last week from the prosecution. All this results in "grave injustice against our client," the lawyer said.
The trial begins on May 16, after which the prosecution intends to call its first witness on May 29. Mladic has said he and his lawyers will not present an opening statement.
Mladic is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws or customs of war during the 1992-1995 conflict in Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was arrested on May 26 in Serbia and was moved to the UN Detention Unit in The Hague on May 31 last year.