MOSCOW, June 28 (Xinhua) -- Russia has denied sending warships and troops to Syria after recent reports it may be reinforcing its small naval base at the Syrian port of Tartus.
Chief of General Staff Nikolai Makarov told a media conference here Thursday: "We have sent nobody there."
The General stressed Russia had been following the situation in the war-torn country "in a planned regime".
"(Russian) armed forces have undertaken no emergency measures," he said, adding the refueling and mainenance base at Tartus was conducting business as usual.
Makarov also said there had been no talks on terminating the agreement for use of the port. "All remains unchanged," he said.
In January, three Russian ships, including an anti-submarine ship "Admiral Chabanenko" and two escort ships, visited Tartus. Moscow said the move was pre-scheduled and had no connection with the current situation in Syria.
Earlier Thursday, Russia reaffirmed it would implement all military-technical contracts Moscow and Damascus signed in 2008.