Sat, August 04, 2012
World > Asia-Pacific

Typhoon Saola leaves 41 people dead in Philippines

2012-08-04 08:56:17 GMT2012-08-04 16:56:17(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

MANILA, Aug. 4 (Xinhua) -- Typhoon Saola has left the 41 people dead, 35 injured and four missing in Philippines, a senior government official said on Saturday.

Benito Ramos, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) executive director, said that the weather disturbance also caused an estimated damage of 289.853 million pesos(6.93 million U.S. Dollars) on infrastructure and agriculture sectors.

While the typhoon had already left the Philippine territory, 49, 975 families or 279,968 individuals are still being served in different evacuation centers, and the state of calamity was declared in different areas during the height of the typhoon, he said.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development has prepositioned 5.139 million pesos (122.8 thousand U.S. Dollars) standby funds and 35 million pesos (836.32 thousand U.S. Dollars) worth of relief supplies for the families displaced by Saola.

| PRINT | RSS

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY