BRUSSELS, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen on Wednesday "strongly" condemned the attack on U.S. consulate in the Libyan city of Benghazi, which killed the U.S. ambassador to Libya.
"I strongly condemn the attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, which led to the tragic loss of four Americans, including the ambassador. Such violence can never be justified," Rasmussen said in a statement.
"I welcome the Libyan President's condemnation and condolences and his pledge of his government's full cooperation. It is important that the new Libya continues to move towards a peaceful, secure and democratic future," the statement ended.
NATO spokeswomen Oana Lungescu told reporters at NATO headquarters that the military alliance's mission in Libya, which toppled the Gaddafi regime, came to an end on Oct. 31 last year.
"We pay tribute to the sacrifice and we express our strong and deep condolences for their loss," she said.