UNITED NATIONS, Sept. 12 (Xinhua) -- UN Secretary-general Ban Ki-moon on Wednesday strongly condemned a deadly attack in Libya that killed the U.S. ambassador to the country and three U.S. embassy staff.
"The secretary-general condemns this attack in the strongest terms," said a statement issued here by Ban's spokesman. "The secretary-general extends his condolences to the U.S. government and to the bereaved Libyan and American families."
Ban also welcomed statements by Libyan authorities that they will bring the perpetrators to justice.
Hundreds of protesters, angered by an alleged U.S.-made movie that they say insults Prophet Mohammad, broke into and set ablaze the U.S. consulate building in Benghazi on Tuesday night.
Wanis Sharef, Libya's deputy interior minister in charge of the country's security affairs in the east, confirmed to the press on Wednesday that the U.S. ambassador, Christopher Stevens, had been killed. Stevens died along with three U.S. embassy staff as they rushed away from the consulate building that was stormed by al- Qaeda-linked gunmen, sources said.