2 policemen confirmed dead in Nigeria gunmen attack

2012-11-26 17:28:56 GMT2012-11-27 01:28:56(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

ABUJA, Nov. 26 (Xinhua) -- The Nigerian police force has confirmed that two of its officers were killed when unknown gunmen attacked their Special Anti-robbery Squad (SARS) premises in Abuja, the West African country's capital city. Spokesperson for the force Frank Mba told a news conference on Monday that two of the gunmen, who carried out the attack, had been arrested.

Mba said they had recovered some personal identification items and other incriminating materials that fell from the other gunmen fleeing after the attack.

He said 25 of the 30 suspects in the detention of the SARS were re-arrested after escaping during the attack, which occurred at 2: 00 a.m. local time.

"Five of the suspects, originally being held in relation to robbery related offences, are currently at large," he added.

"It needs to be emphasized here that no suspect held for terror- related charges escaped from SARS detention facility," he said, noting that no explosives were used in the botched attack.

The raid on the SARS police headquarters in Nigeria's capital city came barely 24 hours after the army said twin explosions rocked a St. Andrew Military Protestant Church in Jaji in central north Kaduna State, killing 11 people and injuring 30 others.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attacks of the past two days.

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment
Name
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.