Hezbollah chief downplays Israeli attack on Lebanon

2013-02-16 18:47:52 GMT2013-02-17 02:47:52(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

BEIRUT, Feb. 16 (Xinhua) -- Secretary General of Hezbollah Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah downplayed Saturday the possibility of an Israeli attack on Lebanon, accusing Lebanese and Arab media outlets of reporting "exaggerations."

He meanwhile warned the Jewish state that the "resistance will not stand still before any attack on Lebanon and its territories."

During a televised speech commemorating Hezbollah's "martyr leaders," Nasrallah rejected the Bulgarian accusations that his party was involved in the deadly attack on Israeli tourists last year.

"Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu immediately blamed Hezbollah for the attack ... But Israel doesn't wage a war as a reaction," he said.

In July 2012, five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver were killed in a bus bombing at Burgas airport on the Black Sea in Bulgaria, which is the deadliest attack on Israelis abroad since 2004.

Bulgaria recently formally blamed the attack on Hezbollah, triggering renewed pressure on the European Union to follow Canada, the United States and others in formally designating the movement a "terrorist group."

The Bulgarian government said the two persons behind the attack held Canadian and Australian passports but lived in Lebanon and were the members of Hezbollah.

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment
Name
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.