Turkey condemns deadly attack on Paris newspaper

2015-01-07 15:08:56 GMT2015-01-07 23:08:56(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

ANKARA, Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- Turkey on Wednesday condemned the deadly attack on French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, calling on Europe to fight against the growing "Islamophobia."

"Whatever is its reason or target, we are against all kinds of terror," Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu told reporters.

Earlier in the day, masked gunmen stormed the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo, killing 12 people before fleeing.

Cavusoglu said Europe must fight growing terrorism, racism, xenophobia and Islamophobia.

"People's freedom of belief should also be respected. It shouldn't be ridiculed or scorned. Islam is a religion of peace and it is not right to associate it with terrorism," he said.

Also, Turkish Culture and Tourism Minister Omer Celik condemned the Paris terror attack as "an action against all humanity."

In Nov. 2011, the headquarters of Charlie Hebdo was fire bombed after it put an image of the Prophet Muhammad on its cover.

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment
Name
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.