S. Koreans divided over propaganda broadcasts

2016-01-08 08:13:53 GMT2016-01-08 16:13:53(Beijing Time)  Agencies

South Koreans are divided over the resumption of propaganda broadcasts across the border into North Korea in response to Pyongyang's nuclear test.

On the streets of Seoul, resident Kim Yoon-ki says he supports resuming the anti-North propaganda. He says, "We definitely need to do it, and I think we should take even stronger action. And I think we should also arm ourselves with nuclear weapons."

He adds that North Korea seems to look down on the South "because we are always in a defensive position."

Lee Kwang-sun thinks otherwise. He says the nuclear test was a bad thing, "but I am not sure whether responding to them using loudspeakers is the right thing to do because it is hostile, attacking vulnerable and sensitive points of North Korea."

A group of protesters also called for a stop to anti-North broadcasts.

UK foreign secretary urges Seoul to refrain from cross-border broadcasting

British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond is asking South Korea to refrain from resuming propaganda broadcasts across the border into North Korea.

Hammond said on a visit to Japan on Friday that he understands why South Korea feels the need to respond to North Korea's nuclear test earlier this week.

But he continued, "we have to be bigger than the North Koreans. ... We know responding in this way is simply rising to the bait North Korea is presenting to us."

He adds that in return for asking for restraint, the international community needs to demonstrate to the South Koreans that it will do what's needed to make sanctions against North Korea effective.

| PRINT | RSS
Editor:
Add Comment