Wed, February 23, 2011
World > Asia-Pacific > Earthquake rocks New Zealand

New Zealand rescuers sift rubble, quake toll reaches 75

2011-02-23 00:08:53 GMT2011-02-23 08:08:53(Beijing Time)  SINA.com

A car is seen crushed by debris after an earthquake in Christchurch, New Zealand, February 22, 2011. (REUTERS/Christchurch Press/Kirk Hargreaves)

CHRISTCHURCH – New Zealand rescuers sifted through rubble in search of quake survivors on Wednesday, guided by sounds of crying and tapping, as the death toll in Christchurch climbed to 75, with many dozens still feared trapped inside collapsed buildings.

Rescue teams had to perform amputations to free some of the 120 survivors so far pulled from the wreckage of Tuesday's strong tremor, which had hit the country's second-biggest city at lunchtime. The death toll is expected to rise further.

"We are getting texts (sms messages) and tapping sounds from the living and that's our focus at the moment," police shift commander Russell Gibson said on Radio New Zealand.

The local mayor said rescuers had detected a group of 15 survivors trapped inside a collapsed building housing local broadcaster CTV. It is also home to an English-language school where up to a dozen Japanese students are feared to be inside.

"We put a camera into the building at the CTV site and we found a pocket with 15 people alive in there and the crew is working to get those people out," a rescuer said.

As many as 300 people are still missing a day after the quake, local mayor Bob Parker added, but it was unclear how many of these could be explained by communication breakdowns between family and friends and the authorities. Previously, Parker has said that up to around 100 people could be trapped.

Authorities have identified 55 dead bodies and there are another 20 still to be identified. The toll seems certain to rise further as the frantic search effort focuses on survivors ahead of retrieving and identifying dead bodies.

"There are bodies littering the streets. They're trapped in cars, crushed under rubble, and where they are clearly deceased our focus unfortunately at this time has turned to the living," police commander Gibson said.

Tuesday's 6.3 magnitude quake struck -- the second to hit the historic tourist town in five months -- struck when streets and shops thronged with people and offices were still occupied. It was New Zealand's most deadly natural disaster for 80 years.

Wednesday, as dawn broke over the ruins of central Christchurch, roads were buckled, buildings toppled and large pools of water had welled up from broken water pipes and sewers.

In places, roads had collapsed into a milky, sand-coloured lake beneath the surface, the result of Christchurch's sandy foundations mixing with subterranean water under the force of the quake. Officials call it "liquefaction" of the ground.

Rescuers focused their greatest efforts on two collapsed buildings: a financial-services office block whose four stories pancaked on top of each other, and the CTV building.

SIX SHELTERING TOGETHER

Eight people had been pulled from the smoldering CTV building and a group of six was known to be sheltering together.

A young man, whose fiancee was trapped in the building, had stood vigil through the night. "They're working by hand...they've been bringing people out alive, and some dead as well," the man who declined to be named told Reuters.

A further 22 people were known to be trapped in the finance building with at least three making contact. Some of those trapped are unhurt, awaiting rescue.

 [1] [2] [Next]

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY