Sichuan province is facing fresh challenges from floods as its rainy season continues.
1000 children from quake-stricken areas are set to travel to Russia for a three week holiday to recover from their ordeal.
A small group of British police from Birmingham has donated more than 7,000 pounds to victims in the Sichuan earthquake.
A new project has been launched to repair UNESCO World Culture Heritage sites in Dujiangyan city.
Power has been restored in all the quake-hit areas of southwest China's Sichuan Province.
The NPC has approved a plan to adjust the central budget, allocating 70b yuan to establish a fund for its post-quake scheme.
Deadly quakes in China's recent history
-- December 16, 1920: 230,000 perish in an earthquake measuring 8.5 on the Richter scale in Gansu Province.
-- May 23, 1927: 41,000 people die in Gansu in an earthquake measuring 8.0.
-- December 26, 1932: An earthquake measuring 7.6 leaves 70,000 dead, again in Gansu.
-- January 5, 1970: 15,621 are killed after an earthquake measuring 7.8 in southwestern Yunnan province.
-- May 11, 1974: 10,000 die in Sichuan and Yunnan after an earthquake of 7.1 magnitude.
-- February 4, 1975: an earthquake measuring 7.3 in the northeastern province of Liaoning takes 1,300 lives.
-- July 28, 1976: The industrial city of Tangshan, situated 200 kilometres (125 miles) east of Beijing, is levelled by an earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale (but 8.2 according to sources outside China). Beijing provides an official death toll standing at 242,000, with 164,000 seriously injured. However, some Western sources put the toll closer to 700,000 victims.
-- August 23, 1985: 67 die in an earthquake measuring 7.4 in the western region of Xinjiang.
-- April 26, 1990: 126 lose their lives after an earthquake measuring 6.9 in the northern province of Qinghai.
-- October 24, 1995: An earthquake measuring 6.5 kills 52 in Yunnan.
-- February 3, 1996: 228 perish and 3,700 are seriously injured in a quake measuring 7.0 near the city of Lijiang, in Yunnan.
-- January 10, 1998: 47 are killed and 9,000 injured in a quake measuring 6.2 that shakes Shangyi and Zhangbei in the province of Hebei.
-- February 24, 2003: A violent earthquake measuring 6.8 takes 268 lives in Xinjiang and causes significant damage.
-- July 21, 2003: An earthquake measuring 6.2 leaves 16 dead and 300 injured in 70 communities in the Chuxiong, an autonomous prefecture comprised of the Yi minority, in Yunnan province.
-- July 23, 2006: 22 people are killed and 106 injured as an earthquake measuring 5.1 hits Yunnan. More than 6,000 homes are destroyed and 38,000 buildings damaged across 13 municipalities.more>>
The epicenter was located between Pingwu and Beichuan counties. The tremor caused severe landslides in the northern part of the province but no fatalities were reported.
|Full coverage||I have comments||Adopt an orphan|
|Photos in Chinese||Videos in Chinese||SINA WAP|
- Four sites nominated for preservation as China quake museum (July 25, 11:39 GMT)
- Senior Chinese official urges tough scrutiny of quake relief resources (July 25, 06:22 GMT)
- Death toll from SW China aftershocks hits two (July 25, 05:39 GMT)
- Web system debuts for quake donation transparency (July 24, 16:32 GMT)
- Strong aftershock jolts west China (July 24, 07:55 GMT)
- 18 students from quake hit Sichuan recruited as pilot cadets (July 23, 16:29 GMT)
- Chinese students get home-like treatment at Russian care center (July 23, 16:10 GMT)
- Sichuan hospitals struggling to address needs of mothers, infants (July 23, 13:05 GMT)
- Govt center in the air weighs on rebuilding (July 22, 07:47 GMT)
- Macao sends 3rd medical team to Sichuan (July 21, 11:54 GMT)
- List of urgently-needed goods in quake-hit areas (May 21, 09:24 GMT)
- SINA opens online registration platform for adoption offers (May 19, 19:17 GMT)
- SINA launches English quake reports for mobile users (May 18, 08:58 GMT)
- Russian president's representative visits students from China's quake-hit Sichuan (Jul 26, 06:22 GMT)
- Quake-struck families allowed new births (Jul 25, 15:58 GMT)
- China to renovate 10 more quake-battered cultural relics in 2008 (Jul 25, 14:58 GMT)
- Four sites nominated for preservation as China quake museum (Jul 25, 11:39 GMT)
- Senior Chinese official urges tough scrutiny of quake relief resources (Jul 25, 06:22 GMT)
- Feature: Boy from China's quake-hit areas feels happy in children's center in Russia (Jul 24, 19:30 GMT)
- Web system debuts for quake donation transparency in China (Jul 24, 16:32 GMT)
- Financial aid will cut Shifang rebuild time by 17 years (Jul 24, 10:35 GMT)
- Feature: Chinese students get home-like treatment at Russian care center (Jul 23, 16:10 GMT)
- 18 students from quake hit Sichuan recruited as pilot cadets (Jul 23, 16:29 GMT)
- Sichuan hospitals struggling to address needs of mothers, infants (Jul 23, 02:21 GMT)
- Feature: Chinese students get happy warm-up for first rehabilitation class in Russia (Jul 22, 16:58 GMT)
- Magnitude-6.1 aftershock jolts SW China (Aug 01, 09:11 GMT)
- Moderate tremor struck May 12 China quake epicenter (Aug 01, 04:12 GMT)
- Death toll from SW China aftershocks hits two (Jul 25, 05:39 GMT)
- Strong aftershocks kill one, injure 17 in Sichuan (Jul 24, 16:48 GMT)
- China quake casualties remain unchanged (Jul 24, 15:54 GMT)
- Five injured in aftershock in west China (Jul 24, 10:37 GMT)
- Strong aftershock jolts west China (Jul 24, 07:55 GMT)
- Magnitude-5.6 aftershock hits area between Shaanxi, Sichuan (Jul 23, 22:26 GMT)
- China's disaster-affected population reaches 45.809 million in June (Jul 23, 13:36 GMT)
- China quake casualties remain unchanged (Jul 21, 09:46 GMT)
- China quake casualties remain unchanged (Jul 21, 00:54 GMT)
- China quake casualties unchanged, 15 more missing found (Jul 18, 10:11 GMT)
- Quake-hit workers get jobs in Shanghai (Jul 24, 10:30 GMT)
- Feature: Chinese students from quake-hit regions embrace Black Sea (Jul 23, 13:51 GMT)
- Evacuation completed for pandas from quake-hit Sichuan (Jul 22, 13:24 GMT)
- Macao sends 3rd medical team to Sichuan (Jul 21, 11:54 GMT)
- China to withdraw military forces in quake affected areas (Jul 20, 14:22 GMT)
- Quake-affected Chinese students arrive in Russia for rehabilitation (Jul 19, 19:13 GMT)
- Quake-hit Gansu Province receives 1.2 bln yuan worth of relief materials (Jul 18, 15:13 GMT)
- Russia welcomes quake-affected Chinese students (Jul 18, 13:40 GMT)
- Lebanon offers donation to China's quake-hit area (Jul 15, 15:38 GMT)
- Schneider empowers relief work (Jul 14, 02:19 GMT)
- China customs speeds clearance of 1,004 quake-relief shipments (Jul 11, 13:33 GMT)
- Man jailed for hacking Red Cross website to steal donations (Jul 11, 08:05 GMT)
- Quake-affected students arrive in Russia (Jul 18, 08:50 GMT)
- Russia ready to host China´s quake-affected children (Jul 17, 09:36 GMT)
- Quake-hit students spend joyous day with President Hu (Jul 17, 09:33 GMT)
- Quake-affected kids to holiday in Russia (Jul 16, 13:26 GMT)
- Rainy season continues in quake zone (Jul 16, 13:24 GMT)
- Life in earthquake zone getting back to normal (Jul 14, 08:58 GMT)
- China sets new subsidy plan for May 12 quake survivors (Jul 14, 08:56 GMT)
- Prisons in quake zone offer reunion visits to prisoners (Jul 04, 05:40 GMT)
- Taiwan building experts help reconstruction in quake zone (Jul 04, 00:31 GMT)
- British police donate to China quake victims (Jul 02, 02:11 GMT)
- Secondary disaster threatens quake zone (Jul 02, 02:07 GMT)
- US delegation visits China´s quake-hit zone (Jul 02, 02:05 GMT)
- Quake-affected students have easy summer time (Jul 28, 09:57 GMT)
- First college admission notice delivered in quake province (Jul 28, 09:14 GMT)
- Children from quake-hit area in All-Russia Children's Care Center (Jul 24, 13:33 GMT)
- All children should be this happy, all the time (Jul 23, 09:47 GMT)
- Locals bid farewell to withdrawing troops (Jul 23, 07:24 GMT)
- Quake-hit Chinese children learn Russian in Vladivostok (Jul 22, 13:21 GMT)
- Yingxiu locals say bye to quake relief paratroopers (Jul 21, 09:39 GMT)
- Quake-affected kids in Russia for rehabilitation (Jul 21, 00:46 GMT)
- Parachute soldiers mourn quake victims (Jul 16, 07:28 GMT)
- Jiang Qinqin stars in earthquake film (Jul 15, 10:26 GMT)
- Volunteers heading to quake-hit county to teach (Jul 15, 07:57 GMT)
- Quake orphans regain smile, confidence (Jul 09, 09:18 GMT)
- US Secretary of State Rice impressed with quake relief work (Jun 30, 02:36 GMT)
- French city observes "Night of Love" for Chinese quake victims (Jun 26, 04:14 GMT)
- WHO hails government, medical response following China quake (Jun 20, 12:39 GMT)
- Ethiopia president hails China's earthquake relief efforts (Jun 19, 20:38 GMT)
- Vietnamese reporters to collect donation for Chinese earthquake victims (Jun 18, 13:21 GMT)
- Tanzanian media lauds China's quake-relief efforts (Jun 18, 12:17 GMT)
- China praised for swift response in disaster relief efforts (Jun 17, 15:53 GMT)
- Australian university to provide scholarship to Sichuan students (Jun 17, 01:34 GMT)
- Rolls-Royce wins first contract for China's seismic research vessel market (Jun 16, 15:48 GMT)
- EU consumer commissioner to visit China's quake-stricken region (Jun 12, 15:19 GMT)
- Int'l community continues sending condolences, aid to quake-hit China (Jun 12, 13:30 GMT)
- Frankfurt stages fund-raising performance for China earthquake relief (Jun 10, 02:43 GMT)
- Chinese man gets award for caring for quake pig (Jul 04, 06:03 GMT)
- Pregnant woman rescued in quake delivers baby named 'Love' (Jun 19, 06:23 GMT)
- China's hour of tragedy, triumph (Jun 12, 06:27 GMT)
- Quake confirms marriage vows (Jun 12, 05:34 GMT)
- News Feature: Tent dwellers in quake-ravaged China town never lose heart (Jun 10, 01:48 GMT)
- Quake survivors overcome tragedy with courage, humor (Jun 04, 03:51 GMT)
- Quake survivors look to recoup losses as foreign labor (Jun 02, 15:24 GMT)
- Survivors' never-give-up tales in Sichuan quake (May 29, 02:19 GMT)
- Cola Boy gets his wish - and plenty of good wishes (May 28, 01:14 GMT)
- Sichuan athletes darlings of Athletics Open in Beijing (May 27, 02:33 GMT)
- When no news is a living hell (May 26, 02:12 GMT)
- Wife keeps elderly man alive for 11 days (May 26, 00:40 GMT)
- Peruvians mourn for China's earthquake victims (Jun 16, 05:57 GMT)
- China holds memorial ceremony for crashed military helicopter crew (Jun 16, 10:34 GMT)
- Countries offer more aid to China as vigils held overseas for quake victims (May 24, 16:41 GMT)
- Israeli President expresses condolences to Chinese earthquake victims (May 23, 16:25 GMT)
- Israeli president mourns quake victims (May 23, 16:48 GMT)
- Greek PM signs Book of Condolences at Chinese Embassy (May 22, 16:12 GMT)
- More world leaders, officials mourn China quake victims (May 22, 15:02 GMT)
- Overseas Chinese continue mourning victims of deadly earthquake in China (May 22, 08:28 GMT)
- S Korean president visits Chinese Embassy to deliver condolences over earthquake victims (May 22, 08:16 GMT)
- More world leaders, officials pay tribute to China quake victims (May 22, 05:42 GMT)
- More world organizations extend condolences to China quake victims (May 22, 05:26 GMT)
- Over 200 dignitaries sign condolence book at Chinese Embassy in Bucharest (May 22, 02:36 GMT)
more>>Death Toll & Damages
more>>Rescue & Disaster Relief
more>>Victims Account Experience
more>>Mourning for Victims
|As of||July 24, 09:14 GMT|
Quake spot scenes (1) more>>
Quake spot scenes (2) more>>
Quake spot scenes (3) more>>
Yingxiu locals say bye to quake relief paratroopers more>>
Russia welcomes quake-affected Chinese students more>>
Quake-affected children arrive in Russia more>>
Quake-hit students at Tiananmen Square more>>
Parachute soldiers mourn quake victims more>>
Volunteers help to teach more>>
Quake orphans regain smile, confidence more>>
Students from quake areas heading home more>>
Memorial held for policemen killed in quake relief more>>
Pandas moving to new home more>>
Earthquake photo showmore>>
Quake relief paper-cut more>>
Pandas evacuated from earthquake-hit area more>>
No. 213 and No. 317 national highways remain to be repaired more>>
Massive landslide strands 1,000 in Jiangyou more>>
German FM visits quake-hit Sichuan more>>
Children at refugee camp more>>
Chengdu recovers tourism after May quake more>>