Tue, October 12, 2010

Probe into Manila Hostage Crisis

Chinese envoy gets hijack report from Manila

A copy of the report into the botched Aug 23 hostage rescue in Manila, in which eight Hong Kong tourists lost their lives, has been submitted to the Chinese embassy in the Philippines. Full story

BACKGROUND

8 HKers dead in Manila hostage incident

Eight tourists from Hong Kong were confirmed dead and another two seriously injured in a bus hijack in Manila Aug. 23, 2010.

POLL

What do you think of the Philippine police's handling of the Hong Kong tourists hostage incident?
They did their best.
More lives could have been saved.

RELATED

Philippines Transmits Hostage Report to Chinese Embassy

2010-09-20 10:33:01 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) - Philippine President Benigno Aquino III said Monday the fact-finding report on last month's hostage crisis has been given to Chinese embassy officials.

Philippines to provide hostage-taking incident report to Beijing before made public

2010-09-20 06:45:23 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Sept. 17 (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government will provide the Chinese government a copy of the final report on the Aug. 23 hostage-taking incident before it divulges the findings to the public, the presidential palace said on Friday night.

Journalist and author Edwin Newman dies

2010-09-17 02:18:54 GMT SINA.com MANILA, the Philippines - The Philippine justice secretary said on Thursday she will recommend criminal and administrative charges against about 10 officials, police officers and journalists over the deaths of eight Hong Kong tourists last month in a botched hostage rescue.

Manila says hijacker killed HK tourists

2010-09-17 01:48:25 GMT SINA.com Eight Hong Kong tourists who died during a bus hijacking in the Philippines last month were killed by the hostage-taker and not during a rescue attempt, Justice Secretary Leila de Lima said Thursday.

HK disappointed at revised hajack report

2010-10-12 23:30:51 GMT Xinhua English HONG KONG - The people of Hong Kong, especially the survivors and the victims' families, would find it hard to accept, and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region(SAR) government was disappointed at, the report by the Philippine government on the deadly hostage crisis in Manila on August 23, the city's government said in a statement on Tuesday.

HKSAR gov't to scrutinize Manila's first hostage-taking incident report

2010-09-21 00:29:01 GMT Xinhua English HONG KONG, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government will scrutinize the Philippines' first report on the hostage-taking incident, and expects the Philippine authorities to step up efforts to complete the work as soon as possible, said a Hong Kong government spokesman on Monday.

Philippine fact finding body recommends filing of charges against officials for hostage fiasco

2010-09-20 12:36:41 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Sept. 20 (Xinhua)-- The Philippine fact finding committee has recommended the filing of charges against senior local and police officials who are believed to be liable for the Aug. 23 hostage fiasco that led to the death of eight tourists from Hong Kong, President Benigno Aquino III said Monday.

Bus hijacking alerts Chinese tourists

2010-09-17 00:39:13 GMT China Daily MANILA - At the observation deck overlooking the perfectly shaped mounds known as the Chocolate Hills overlooking Bohol Island in the central Philippines, Korean is the foreign language most often heard.

Philippine travel sector to grow despite fallout from hostage crisis: official

2010-09-13 07:57:13 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Sept. 13 (Xinhua) -- Philippine tour operators are confident that the country's travel industry will continue to grow despite the negative publicity generated by the Aug. 23 hostage crisis, Tourism Congress President Alma Jimenez said in a statement Monday.

Mourners queue in tribute to Manila hero

2010-09-06 08:16:50 GMT SINA.com Top officials yesterday joined about 1,000 mourners to pay tribute to tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn, who was killed in Manila last month by a sacked Philippine cop seeking reinstatement.

Philippine president takes responsibility over hostage crisis

2010-09-03 09:55:50 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Sept. 3 (Xinhua) -- Philippine President Benigno Aquino III on Friday said he is taking responsibility over the failed attempt to save the lives of the eight Hong Kong residents who were held hostage by a dismissed police officer.

Hostage survivor’s story of the Manila bus hostage crisis

2010-09-03 08:57:09 GMT Xinhua English Here are excerpts from the first-person account of a survivor in the bus hostage-taking incident at Quirino Grandstand in Manila, Philippines.

Chinese embassy confirms death toll from Hong Kong hostage crisis at 8

2010-08-24 14:15:52 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- The Chinese Embassy officials in the Philippines confirmed on Tuesday that the death toll from the hostage crisis in Manila on Monday remain at eight up to Tuesday.

Death toll from Hong Kong hostage crisis rises to 10

2010-08-24 01:51:59 GMT Xinhua English MANILA, Aug. 24 (Xinhua) -- The death toll from Monday's hostage crisis in Manila climbed to 10 as of early Tuesday, with another hostage succumbing to injuries in a Manila hospital.

8 confirmed dead in Manila hostage taking incident, says Chinese FM spokesman

2010-08-24 00:14:29 GMT Xinhua English BEIJING, Aug. 23 (Xinhua) -- At least eight tourists from Hong Kong were confirmed dead and another two seriously injured in a bus hijack in Manila Monday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said Monday night.

Philippines bus hostage crisis ends with 7 dead

2010-08-23 14:48:16 GMT SINA.com MANILA, Philippines – A dramatic hostage-taking in the Philippines capital ended with six bus passengers dead Monday after shots rang out and police stormed the vehicle.