On Wednesday night representatives of the opposition Syrian National Council said President Assad’s forces had killed more than 100 civilians, including many women and children, in the villages of Qubair and Maarzaf, in what they called a "massacre".
Thirteen bound corpses, many apparently shot execution-style, have been discovered in eastern Syria, U.N. observers said Wednesday, days after the massacre of more than 100 people provoked international outrage and the coordinated expulsion of Syrian diplomats from world capitals.
The latest killings happened in Deir el-Zour province, where the bodies were found late Tuesday blindfolded with their hands tied behind their backs.
A video posted online by activists showed the men lying face down, pools of dried blood under their heads.
Roughly 116 people were brutally massacred in the Syrian town of Houla on May 25, among them 49 children and 34 women. UN observers said many of the victims had been killed by close-range gunfire or knife attacks.
Killings in Houla, an area northwest of the central city of Homs, stands out as one of the bloodiest events in Syria's 15-month-old crisis.Witnesses and survivors have told U.N. investigators that most victims died in two bouts of summary executions carried out by "shabbiha", a militia loyal to President Bashar al-Assad.
Houla massacre looks as if the last straw could break Syria, as international pressures are mounting and world’s patience is approaching to the limit.
UN-Arab League envoy to Syria Kofi Annan has said the country has reached a "tipping point" after more than a year of conflict.
Mr Annan made the remarks after talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
Mr Annan told reporters the six-point international peace plan for Syria was not being implemented "as it must be".
"I appealed to him [Mr Assad] for bold steps now - not tomorrow, now - to create momentum for the implementation of the plan," Mr Annan said.
Prompted by Houla massacre , the US, the Netherlands, France, Britain, Canada, Spain, Germany, and Italy joined Australia in expelling some or all of Syria's diplomatic staff, making the “concerted protest” to be a Nine-country bloc.
Nine Western nations, including the US, expelled some or all of Syria's diplomatic missions to their countries in a coordinated action against the massacre in a Syrian town of Houla that killed more than 100 civilians.
The United States announced the expulsion of Syrian charge d'affairs Zuhair Jabbour, joining other countries in a crackdown on Syria's overseas diplomatic corps. Syria's ambassador to the US left after Washington closed its Damascus embassy in February.
An 11-year old boy described how he smeared himself in the blood of his slain brother and played dead as gunmen burst into his home during a massacre in Houla.
The young survivor said gunmen arrived in his district about 3pm on Friday, several hours after shells started falling on Houla.
"They came in armoured vehicles and there were some tanks," the boy said. "They said they wanted Aref and Shawki, my father and my brother. They then asked about my uncle, Abu Haidar. "
"They shot my brother Nader in the head and in the back. They shot at me, but the bullet passed me and I wasn't hit. I was shaking so much I thought they would notice me. I put blood on my face to make them think I'm dead."
The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest possible terms the killings, confirmed by United Nations observers, of dozens of men, women and children and the wounding of hundreds more in the village of (Houla), near Homs, in attacks that involved a series of government artillery and tank shellings on a residential neighborhood.
The members of the Security Council also condemned the killing of civilians by shooting at close range and by severe physical abuse. The members of the Security Council extended their profound sympathies and sincere condolences to the families of the victims, and underscored their grave concern about the situation of civilians in Syria.