France says to ban massive marches during climate conference

2015-11-18 21:22:46 GMT2015-11-19 05:22:46(Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

PARIS, Nov. 18 (Xinhua) -- France would ban massive marches scheduled during the upcoming climate change conference, Foreign Affairs Minister Laurent Fabius said on Wednesday.

"In order to avoid additional risks, the government has decided not to authorize climate marches planned in public places in Paris and other French cities on Nov. 29 and Dec. 12," Fabius said in a statement.

The remarks came after coordinated terrorist attacks killed 129 people and injured more in Paris on Friday last week.

"This is a difficult decision and will probably disappoint some of those who planned to participate, but under the current context, the safety requirement imposes that," he added.

However, all the demonstrations organized in closed spaces or in places where security can easily be ensured would be maintained, according to the top French diplomat who will chair the upcoming United Nations Climate Conference set to kick off by the month end.

Despite growing security risks, France decided to go ahead with the high-profile conference because "it's an essential meeting for humanity," Prime Minister Manuel Valls told TF1 television on Saturday evening.

About 40,000 visitors, including more than 3,000 journalists, are expected to take part in the United Nations' 21st conference on climate, according to officials.

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment