Sat, December 25, 2010
China > Mainland

Fire breaks out in shopping mall in East China

2010-12-25 08:06:29 GMT2010-12-25 16:06:29 (Beijing Time)  Xinhua English

Firefighters try to put out a fire on a store of GOME in downtown Jinhua City, Zhejiang province, Dec 24, 2010. (Photo/Xinhua)

Firefighters try to rescue residents of the apartment building, the first three floors of which are used by a GOME store in downtown Jinhua, Zhejiang province, Dec 24, 2010. (Photo/Xinhua)

A resident injured in the fire on a GOME store is rushed to hospital in downtown Jinhua, Zhejiang province, Dec 24, 2010. (Photo/Xinhua)

HANGZHOU - Fire engulfed an electric appliance store in east China's Zhejiang Province Friday night, local police said.

Flames broke out at around 8:30 pm at a store of GOME, China's leading electric appliance franchiser, in downtown Jinhua City, Zhejiang, according to the police.

The store occupies the first three floors of a 13-storey residential building. The store was in business when the fire broke out.

"The fire has engulfed six floors of the building so far. At least 10 people from the upper residential apartments have been transferred to safer places by firefighters as of 9:50 pm," said a witness.

The witness said there were people trapped on the 12th floor of the building, but the exact number of the trapped remained unknown.

Ambulances are waiting on the road. So far, no casualties were reported.

Fire fighters continue rescuing people from the upper floors by stairs.

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY