DPRK to withdraw all workers from Kaesong industrial complex

2013-04-08 08:39:55 GMT2013-04-08 16:39:55(Beijing Time)  SINA.com
South Korean soldiers walk at a military checkpoint leading to the Kaesong joint industrial complex on April 8, 2013.(Photo:Agencies)South Korean soldiers walk at a military checkpoint leading to the Kaesong joint industrial complex on April 8, 2013.(Photo:Agencies)

The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) announced Monday it would pull all its 53,000 workers out of the Kaesong joint industrial zone with South Korea and suspend all commercial operations in the complex.

North Korea "will withdraw all its employees from the zone", Kim Yang Gon, a senior ruling party official, said in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

At the same time, Pyongyang "will temporarily suspend the operations in the zone and examine the issue of whether it will allow its existence or close it", Kim added.

"How the situation will develop in the days ahead will entirely depend on the attitude of the South Korean authorities," Kim said, who toured Kaesong Monday morning.

DPRK has banned South Korean managers and personnel from crossing the border to enter the complex -- 10 kilometers (six miles) inside DPRK -- since Wednesday.

So far 13 of the 123 South Korean firms operating there have been forced to halt production due to fuel and raw material shortages.

More than 300 South Koreans who were working in Kaesong when the ban was imposed have returned to the North, but more than 500 remain in the complex.

(Agencies)

| PRINT | RSS
Editor:
Add Comment
Name
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.