US to continue trade actions against China: White House

2018-05-30 01:14:48 GMT2018-05-30 09:14:48(Beijing Time) Sina English

The United States said on Tuesday that it still holds the threat of imposing tariffs on US$50 billion of imports from China.

Washington will also press ahead with restrictions on investment by Chinese companies in the United States as well as export controls for goods exported to China, the statement from the White House said.

Details of the investment and export controls will be announced by Jun 30 and the final tariff list will be published by Jun 15.

The announcement on Tuesday restated comments by administration officials that both the tariffs and the restrictions remained in place even after the United States and China sketched out a deal this month to reduce China's US$375 billion trade surplus with America.

Even though Washington had not withdrawn the threatened tariffs on imports from China, Beijing reacted harshly to the announcement, saying it was surprised by Tuesday's statement and would defend its interests.

The two countries earlier this month agreed to look at measures to reduce China's trade surplus with the United States in a move that appeared to reduce the risk of a trade war between the world's two largest economies.

Agencies

| PRINT | RSS
Add Comment