Fri, July 29, 2011
World > Europe > News Corp. in hacking scandal

James Murdoch confirmed as BSkyB chairman

2011-07-29 02:36:04 GMT2011-07-29 10:36:04(Beijing Time)  SINA.com

BSkyB Chairman James Murdoch appears before a parliamentary committee on phone hacking at Portcullis House in London July 19, 2011. REUTERS/Parbul TV via Reuters Tv

LONDON - James Murdoch was unanimously confirmed as chairman by BSkyB's board, winning a reprieve from a phone-hacking scandal that threatens to draw him into multiple investigations, two sources briefed on the board meeting told Reuters.

Thursday's meeting of the BSkyB board was its first since the crisis forced News Corp to close the News of the World newspaper, drop a $12 billion bid for BSkyB and offer up James and his father Rupert to answer questions in the UK parliament.

Several shareholders had demanded he step down to avoid conflicts of interest, fearing contamination from the scandal that acquired new dimensions earlier this month when it was revealed that a murdered schoolgirl had had her phone hacked.

One of the sources said: "The role of chairman was discussed at some length," and added that the board would be monitoring external developments that might prove relevant to Murdoch's continuing chairmanship.

Murdoch did not oversee operations at the News of the World at the time the hacking occurred but did approve large payoffs to victims after he took charge of News Corp's British newspaper operations.

He was chief executive of BSkyB before moving to News Corp and is widely considered to have done a good job.

On Thursday, a children's charity said the mother of another murdered schoolgirl, who was championed by the News of the World's "Sarah's Law" anti-pedophile campaign, had been told that her own phone may have been targeted.

The Phoenix Foundation, a children's charity that Sara Payne co-founded after her daughter Sarah was killed by a pedophile 11 years ago, said police had found her details on a list seized from an investigator employed by the tabloid.

The anti-pedophile campaign was a pet project of then-editor Rebekah Brooks, who was arrested earlier this month.

ARC OF A CRISIS

The phone-hacking affair is now the subject of three separate investigations in Britain: a criminal police investigation, a parliamentary probe and a judicial inquiry that opened on Thursday.

Murdoch's testimony given in parliament last week has already been called into question by two ex-News of the World executives, who say he was aware of evidence that showed the hacking was not limited to a couple of "rogue" individuals.

The now defunct-tabloid's last editor and its chief lawyer said Murdoch had been mistaken when he told parliament he had not been aware of an email containing evidence of hacking when he approved a large payoff to the victim.

Murdoch said he stood by his statement, while the chairman of the parliamentary committee in charge of questioning the Murdochs has said he will seek further clarification.

Richard Levick, president and CEO of Levick Strategic Communications, who has advised countries and companies on issues including the U.S. prison camp at Guantanamo Bay and the recent Wall Street crash, says the crisis is far from over.

"If you look at the arc of a crisis, their worst days are not yet behind them. It's parallel in many ways to Watergate. Watergate took 18 months to unfold. It appears that this is one of those elongated crises," he told Reuters.

The Murdochs face further questions from a judge-led inquiry ordered by Prime Minister David Cameron in response to the public outcry.

 [1] [2] [Next]

| PRINT | RSS

Add Your Comments:

Your Name:
Your Country:
Comment:
(English Only)
 
Please read our Terms of Service. Messages that harass, abuse or threaten others; have obscene or otherwise objectionable content; have spam, commercial or advertising content or links may be removed.

You might also be interested in:

SPECIAL COVERAGE

MOST VIEWED

LATEST VIDEO

PICTURE GALLERY